Moss Wood History - 1969
First cabernet vines planted
Bill and Sandra Pannell, purchased Moss Wood land in 1969 and planted the first cabernet vines. Bill had a passion to grow the great grape varieties of France and was determined to access the best possible site. He chose the Moss Wood site for its soils and aspect. His search was informed, like that of other pioneers of the Margaret River area, by the work of Perth agronomist Dr John Gladstones (completed 1966) who favored the region for its consistent and suitable climate for growing grapes and a visit to Western Australia by Professor Harold Olmo, from the University of California at Davis in 1955.