Planted in 1969 Moss Wood is an important, founding estate of the Margaret River wine region, located in the northern sub–region of Wilyabrup, Western Australia. Clare & Keith Mugford, as winemakers, viticulturalists & proprietors, have been making wine & tending the vineyard at Moss Wood since 1984 & 1979, respectively. Their exacting viticulture ensures the production of grapes of excellent quality & they have created a stable of fine wines distinguished by their consistency over each vintage & their ability to age superbly.
The Moss Wood & Mugford names are synonymous with uncompromising quality.
Moss wood was established as a specialist, high-quality winery. This was its raison d’être and still provides the motivation for its continued existence.
It is Clare and Keith’s belief that all decisions made in the vineyard, or at the winery, are based on the effect they will have on the quality of the wine. As a new wine producing area, Margaret River has a short viticultural history, therefore winemakers need to be continually reassessing their soil management practices and the performance of their vines if they are to understand the viticulture of the region and obtain the best results in the vineyard.
We put significant effort into developing an appropriate style for each of our varieties but the Cabernet Sauvignon, being the first wine, was our primary focus at the time. Naturally, we looked to the great wines of Bordeaux for inspiration and carefully examined the style of numerous of that region’s wines in the search for clues.
We were making wine in Margaret River and if we wanted to make wines like those of the Medoc, then that’s where we should go. Margaret River’s individual climate meant it would always be different.
At Moss Wood we believe wine quality is determined in the vineyard and viticultural techniques are constantly reassessed and informed by current research, both of others and our own. This has seen trials and improvements in trellising systems, soil conservation practices and pruning practices.
wilyabrup margaret river
The Moss Wood and Ribbon Vale Vineyards are located in the Wilyabrup sub-region, the heart of the Margaret River wine region.
At 115° 18’ east longitude and approximately three hours drive south of Perth, Western Australia’s capital city, Margaret River is recognised as one of the world’s great wine producing regions.
• Inspired by the scientific work of Dr John Gladstones who identified the value of the maritime climate for the production of high quality wine.
• One of the most isolated and pure grape growing regions in the world, sitting immediately besides the pristine Indian Ocean.
• The region is 120 kilometres north to south and 27 kilometres west to east.
• Internationally recognised for Cabernet Sauvignon and Chardonnay.
• Semillon and Sauvignon Blanc blends also highly regarded.
• The pioneering sub-region of Margaret River.
• Situated at the Northern end of the Margaret River region.
• Distinct Wilyabrup soils of gravelly loam over clay.
• Varying topography provides unique and distinct vineyard sites.
• Reliable rainfall.
• Has proven to be outstanding for many varieties and especially Cabernet Sauvignon.